Sunday, October 24, 2010

Primary

Today was our ward's Primary presentation.

It was the first time I was part of a Primary presentation since I was 11. And I wasn't really part of it. I was sitting in the choir seats with the kids, making sure they sat quietly, or stood to sing, or went to the microphone to give their parts. But I don't think I could be prouder to have been up there. The Primary kids sang so beautifully, I got choked up. None of these kids belong to me, but I feel like some of them are mine. I was so proud of them.

There was a hiccup during the program. One of the girls in my class got up to do a solo verse of "Follow the Prophet". She got flustered and forgot a few words, she started again, and continued to be flustered, so she ran from the pulpit in the middle of the verse and sat down in her seat crying. So sad! After the program was over, her mom went over to her and wouldn't let her daughter dwell on what happened, and praised her for her efforts. Then her 16-year-old brother came up to her and they had a heart-to-heart about a similar situation he'd had. I was impressed with her family's response. They were supportive and recognized her feelings, but reminded her that she could choose how she responded and they encouraged her to be positive about the experience. It felt like small words, but I told her I was honestly proud of her and that she shouldn't beat herself up over it.

I was so proud of all the Primary kids today. There is nothing quite like the honest testimonies of children.

I'm so thankful to be in Primary.

No comments:

Post a Comment