Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Florida fun, part 1

We had such a great time in Florida! We were kept busy playing and shooting pictures (we got over 2500!). For ease of upload and not to wear you out, I'll write a few separate entries about this trip. We arrived in Orlando on a Sunday afternoon after a red-eye flight and a delayed flight. We spent the evening with Alecia and Stewart, and their roommate Calvin. Calvin cooked dinner for us all and we played games. We also got to meet "The Fuzz," otherwise known as Octavian. He is Alecia and Stewart's cat. Unfortunately, we neglected to get any pictures of him. But he was able to fill my need for cat time while we were away from Marlo. He's a funny cat.

For the first few days, we were able to stay in the guest apartment at Alecia and Stewart's complex. It was quite nice and affordable. It was great to be so close but not to intrude on Alecia and Stewart's space. Here's what greeted us at the apartment:

Day 1 at Disney was the following Monday. One of my first pictures at Disney. Here, we're inside the Polynesian resort. I'm not sure what I was thinking in this picture, but perhaps it was an "Omigosh, I made it to Disney." :)




View of the Grand Floridian resort from the Polynesian:





I had no idea that there was a wedding pavilion at Disney. I don't know the exact price to have a wedding there, but I heard that it was in the tens of thousands. Talk about being a die-hard Disney fan!

You can see the Disney castle from the wedding pavilion chapel. Apparently the glass in the window was manufactured so that it would magnify the view of the castle. :)

Just outside the wedding pavilion:








The timing was just perfect--we were able to get our pictures just before this bride and groom came for their wedding.

We spent most of the day at the Magic Kingdom. I had no idea how big it was. And I know this sounds cheesy, but it really was magical. Before meeting Robert, I had little desire to go to Disney. I didn't think it would be fun for adults, but I was very wrong! I really loved the Magic Kingdom and soaked up all the time we spent there. Again, I know this is cheesy, but it did make me feel like a kid at heart.


We have pictures similar to this one from our honeymoon:




Small World ride:

This was from a cute 3D show called the Philharmagic:


Alecia told me to think tall and it worked! I don't often get to be taller than others, so this was a treat. :)





Robert's most-"favorite" ride: the teacups! Alecia and I had a great time, but I don't know if I can say the same thing for Robert.

Just outside the Buzz Lightyear ride:






Mickey (and Minnie, too)!


Cinderella. How could I travel all this way and not see any princesses!




Pirates of the Caribbean and I go way back. At least, the first movie and I do.











I'm not a thrill seeker. I hate roller coasters. So, it took all day for Robert to convince me to do Splash Mountain. It was actually really fun, and only scary for about a second. I love this picture of us on it:



There are these really cool tile mosaics in the walkway through the castle. The tiles are maybe 1 square cm.
This picture gives an idea of how big this mosaics are. Impressive!







Stay tuned! More to come!

1 comment: