Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bragging

Every Thursday my students and I spend time talking about their clinical experiences for the week.

I get a new batch of students every 5 weeks, so this was the last week I got to spend with my first batch of students. I got a bit teary today as I told my students how much I had truly appreciated being part of their education. They all were great during the last 5 weeks. I have every confidence that each of them will bring tremendous abilities and attitudes to the field of nursing and that they will make a difference to their patients.

Each student is given time (though not enough) to debrief about their experiences and observations during the week. This week, since it was their last week, I also asked them to mention something they were proud of accomplishing over the last few weeks.

I remember how wretched nursing school was at times. It was a time of incredible learning and stretching, which was often painful. Since I accepted this job it has been important to me that my students feel that they have an ally in me. I want to offer support and encouragement, to do my small part to ease their nursing school burdens. A lot of people (nurses and nursing students included) spend so much time and energy beating themselves up. I've made a conscious effort to offer praise and support as much as I could. And my students made doing that so easy--they're awesome! Part of that support came in the form of reminding them of all the great things they're already doing. A few times during clinical, I told one of my students (who had a difficult time with confidence) that not only was she on track in terms of her abilities but she needed to give herself credit for all that she was doing well.

With that in mind, it was important for me to give each of my students the opportunity to voice some of their successes. I'm a firm believer that tearing someone down --for any reason, even the reason that it helps them build themselves back up--does NOT accomplish much good. Support and encouragement goes a long way in fostering growth. It was so satisfying for me to hear one of my students say that something she was most proud about was "starting to feel like a nurse." I don't know how much of that, if any, had to do with me, but I was excited for her and proud of her, too.

Since then, I've been thinking this afternoon about being fair to oneself. It is not fair to only allow yourself to dwell on your negative characteristics, real or perceived. You need to allow yourself to feel accomplishment in the positive characteristics you have, as well.

Numerous times I've received grateful compliments from my students about my teaching skills. I would appear to accept those compliments in the moment and then dismiss them later. That was unfair to me, and also a poor example to them (whether they were aware of it or not). I expect my students to internalize the praise I offer them. What a double standard if I don't honestly accept their praise!

So, in an effort to correct my action, I'm going to take a moment to brag. Here are some of the things my students told me they appreciated about me:
  • my calm presence
  • the verbal feedback and support I offered them
  • I was readily available and present to help them as they needed it (with 8 different students on 2 different units, that felt like a daunting task, so I'm grateful they felt I was "ever present"--that they felt encouraged to ask for help, knowing they'd be able to get it)
  • when I question them about their patients and thought processes, it doesn't come across as a test, but it comes across as a genuine interest in assessing their abilities

Don't worry, I won't let this go to my head. But I'm celebrating this! It is a victory for me to have successfully put into action those things I wanted to, and my students felt of my keen interest in their successes!

Below is a picture of a card I received from my first batch of students today. I included it here as a reminder to myself of my students' comments.



Caroline, Connie, Erica, Eva, Kim, Miranda, Sarah, and Sarieah: It truly has been a honor! Thank you for such a great initiation to teaching! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment