Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Repenting slacker

You can breathe now. Here is the long-promised post.

Let's start with Christmas. Last year (2008), Robert and I spent Christmas Day in Denver, but not on purpose. The snowstorm in Portland stranded us there for 5 days, and we didn't get home until the night of Christmas Day. Though that experience strengthened our relationship, neither of us wanted to risk the possibility of being stranded on Christmas again. So, we stayed here in Portland for our first married Christmas.

Christmas Eve was spent with Bd, Kurt, and Malia. We had cheese fondue for dinner--it was delicious, and a much better fondue than the first one Bd and I made (that's a story in itself, but basically the cheap cheese we used made the fondue separate into goop and grease, yuck). Then we spent some time reflecting on the meaning of Christmas and we watched the Plasters open the gifts we gave them. Robert and I were both satisfied with the responses each of the gifts got. Malia got a ladybug book (is there anything else that Bd's child could read about?), and then her parents got a Rick Bayless cookbook (Rick Bayless is the unofficial Bingham cooking icon), and a universal remote. So satisfying. Then we watched one of my favorite movies--Elf. Absolutely silly, but a definite classic.

Christmas Day was fantastic. We slept in and then had French toast with a Corkran favorite, cinnamon syrup, for breakfast. We then opened our gifts. We were blessed with many gifts. The favorite that I received was a bathrobe. I've wanted one all my life, and Robert made that wish come true. :) I got to Skype with Chris and Penny who were in Australia and speak with my other far-off siblings (except for missionary Bry, of course). I don't think I've ever had such a relaxing Christmas Day.

That evening we went over to Robert's family's. We had prime rib for dinner, but I don't know if Shannon would even remember that. Apparently they waited for us to come over to open their gifts, and she was so excited. It was interesting to see some of the Christmas traditions that Robert grew up practicing. One of the memorable gifts I received was a pair of fuzzy slippers. Now, if I'm home, often I'll be hanging out in my robe and slippers. So cozy. Marlo loves my robe, too.

For many months, the only real furniture to sit on in our living was our loveseat. I loved it when I had it in my DC studio, but it hasn't met our sitting needs. :) A few weeks ago, we inherited a couch from Kelley, Robert's sister. It is much appreciated. It helps that it's comfortable, too. It's fun to sit on it and later see Marlo crawl out from under it. He loves his new couch. Thanks Kelley!

My birthday was a few weeks ago. Yikes, it's very strange for me to say that I'm 30. But, I cannot tell a lie. As Tom so delicately put it a few months ago, "You can say you're in your fourth decade!" Thanks Tom, but that didn't really help me with the transition. :) Anyway, this year my birthday was on Sunday, which can be a bit of a challenge. Robert rose to the challenge, however. He took me out for dessert the night before. We arrived at the destination, which was the Portland City Grill. It is a restaurant on the 30th floor of a tower in downtown Portland. I asked him if it being on the 30th floor had anything to do with why he chose it, and he said that was just a coincidence. I liked that coincidence. We ordered the homemade cookies and ice cream. It was huge! We only got one order and together we couldn't even finish it. The view was fantastic as the sky was clear.

I usually don't look forward to my birthday, but I did this year (with mixed feelings, apparently). I anticipated it because it would be my first birthday in Primary since I graduated from it at age 12. I was called up to the front where I had to hold a giant paper cupcake around my face while the kids sang to me. It was fun. When Grace, one of the 11-year-old girls in my class, found out it was my birthday, she turned to me and said, "When is it?" I told her it was that day, to which she emphatically said, "Why didn't you tell me? I would've made you something!" I tried to explain that I don't like a lot of attention on my birthday, but that wasn't satisfying to her. She was insistent that she give me something, so she pulled out a Mormonad and gave it to me. So awesome!

After church was over, I spent the rest of the day at home. I got calls from my non-missionary siblings, which is always a birthday highlight, and many nieces and nephews sang to me. :) They are some of my most favorite people, so hearing their song was special. Robert and I made pasta primavera (my mom's old recipe and a personal favorite) and the Plasters and the other Corkrans came over to share it with us. Robert had asked Bd to make a chocolate melting cake for dessert. We'd had the melting cake on our honeymoon cruise and it was amazing(unbelievable that I would love a cake, and a chocolate one at that)! It was fun to spend the evening with them all.

And Robert gave me a season of Monk on DVD. It's one of our shows and it's fun that we can watch it whenever we want to now. :) He also gave me a new point-and-shoot digital camera, replacing the busted one I had. Now you better be prepared. More photos coming your way!

Here is Marlo on his new couch, wrapped in one of his favorite blankets. So cute. What a nug!


This is Robert's tribute to Canada. Some of you may remember a comment Bry wrote in one of his early mission emails about these Canadian items. Robert's wearing a toque, sitting on a chesterfield, getting ready to eat his nanaimo bar, and has a serviette at the ready. :)
Here is Marlo on our loveseat. It looks like he may need another blanket underneath him. What a spoiled weasel!
Marlo only mildly tolerates Robert's efforts at making a furry weasel burrito.
Check out our new couch--it is partly covered in a homemade slip cover, which explains why it looks like it's got two different patterns.

There was a cat show here in Portland a few weeks ago. I went with Bd, Kurt, and Malia. It was quite an experience. I've never been surrounded by so many people who spoil their cats way beyond the level of spoiling that Marlo receives. And let me tell you, Marlo is spoiled! I loved seeing so many cats, but I think my favorite part was how Kurt acted. I think he spoke with several different breeders. After the show, he commented that he likes Sphynx cats (a hairless breed). His response when asked why he liked them was, "I like them because I feel sorry for them. They're so ugly." Now that makes sense. Thanks Kurt. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment