Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Family Ward Experience

Admittedly, I am the Bingham sibling who spent the most time attending a singles ward. I got well used to the silence during the Sacrament and to having callings that don't exist in family wards. When I attended a family ward, it was only for a week or two, and I knew I would soon be returning to the serene meat market that was my singles ward.

Well, I no longer attend a singles ward. Very much looking forward to being married, I also very much looked forward to the family ward experience. I am happy to be in the family ward.

I've learned that the transition to the family ward isn't what I thought it would be. We have been warmly embraced by our new ward, and have been reminded many times by its members that "there aren't many young couples here." Members continue to introduce themselves to us and extend a fellowshipping hand. We feel very lucky. What I hadn't really anticipated was the dynamic of a family ward. There are still people our age in the ward, but there are only a few and they are married (the unspoken competition no longer exists). There are also children (yay!) and families of all ages. I'm still adjusting to attending the same ward as parents of some members of the singles ward. Conversing with people outside the 18-30 year old group has me a bit stumped, but that's a skill I'll gladly improve on.

Tonight we were invited to dinner with a couple from our ward who has only been married for a year and who is expecting their first baby. I was so touched that people who hadn't previously known us would make us feel so welcome in their home. We had a great time getting to know this couple and in sharing in the peace of their home.

I find myself inspired to make more of an effort to reach out to people. I want to be like the other members in our ward. I hope everyone's transition to a family ward is as wonderful as ours has been.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you guys have a nice ward! It's such a blessing to have a ward that welcomes you in and makes you feel at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying your new ward and feel so welcome! It was a bit of an adjustment for me after spending nearly 2-years in a single ward. Our ward in Hyde Park at first seemed VERY noisy. But we were happy to contribute to the noise once Sam and Ella arrived!

    ReplyDelete